House Tour: Big Girl Room

This was Larkyn's room at our old house. When I designed it, there was no Pinterest and owl decor was tough to find. It felt unique, serene, and innocent to me.

When buying our new house, I knew I had to transition her room to a Big Girl room as well as furnish a new nursery for Rhys. To balance the budget, I needed a way to keep most of her existing decor but remix it to represent the spunky, vibrant girl that she is. Come inside!


I started with the bedding. I knew I wanted Pottery Barn to match the feel of her old Hayley set. When I found the Daisy Garden set, it was perfect. It has strips of the green gingham, ties in with the flower/bird/owl scheme of the old room, and is so cheerful. Even better, I found it on eBay for 50% of the retail cost.


Since Matt is in the furniture industry, finding a bed was easy. This is the American Signature Colorworks full size bed. I hate the way the rail looks, but safety first, right?



No more pale yellow walls. The paint color, Sherwin Williams Moonraker, is greenish-yellow that I love even more than the Benjamin Moore Moonlight in the nursery. And that was the existing paint color!


Instead of individually hanging the PBK letters (which we painted white from off-white a few years ago), I got a canvas, painted it (3 different times to get the right blue, and it is still too bright!), added ribbon, and hot glued the letters. I know, hot glue and PBK...blasphemy...but at some point, you just want a project to be done.


We kept the same curtains, lamp, glider, and accent table from her nursery because, why not? Can you tell she has a favorite author already?


I love the way that the wood floor warms up the room. It might be my favorite part!


I re-worked the wall decor to only use one PBK shelf instead of two because, to be honest, I'm not crazy about them. (1)I hate that they don't make their stuff in regular white, (2) These are AWFUL to hang and (3) The little railing blocks your view of anything you want to put in them. I spent too much money on them to waste them, so I'll put one in each kid's room and I tried stacking things to have a better view.






I finished her footprint project this spring, which is one of my oldest and most re-pinned ideas!  I got the tree from Hobby Lobby last week.



This wall was fun for me. If you know me, you already know that I have lots of patience for humans and that is about it. I hate waiting for things in the mail and DIY projects need to be done NOW. Anyway, last night, I searched etsy for and found some perfect instant downloads. I wanted art that represented Larkyn and wasn't run of the mill.


We have her favorite song, her initial, her favorite food (we could easily make a gallery wall with donuts, sprinkles, waffles, pancakes...), and a fitting quote for Miss Sassafras. I easily downloaded the files (ranging from $3.50-$8.00) and printed them at Staples today. That is washi tape from Michaels because I actually don't want to see a hammer and nails for a very long time.




She has a great closet, which will be a project for another day. Or year. 

Larkyn is so excited about her room that she shrieks to anyone who comes in (including the pizza man and ATT installer) "COME ON!! COME SEE MY PRETTY PINK ROOM!!"


Comments

Unknown said…
Your kids have such cool names! Rhys is my son's middle name.

You did a fabulous job on your daughter's room.