Lattes & Lollipops review


I was looking for something new to do with L on Friday. Something that would let her run and explore without tearing apart a store. I tried an indoor play cafe this past winter, but wasn't a huge fan of the crowd and the idea of her being bulldozed by big kids. This is the ONE time when our odd nap schedule worked to our advantage. We will probably miss every story time and music class out there (I've checked), but the play cafes empty out at noon for us oddballs:)

Anyway, here are the details of my new favorite hang-out:
  • It is located in Powell, on West Olentangy Street (Powell road) right before the railroad tracks. If you are coming from Sawmill road, it is on the right side of the road shortly after you turn from Sawmill.
  • It is open from 9 AM- 3 PM Tuesday-Friday. Saturdays may be closed for private parties (check their page)
  • Admission as of 5/2/15:
Children ages walkers - 7 years old
2 hour play time 
First child: $15
Siblings: $10
1 hour play time
First child: $10
Siblings: $6
QUICK PLAY PASS (30 min play) 

First child: $5
Siblings: $3

Happy Hour
Mon-Fri  2:00pm-3:00pm  $6 per child
  • You'll need to pack socks for the kids and for yourself if you plan to go into the play area. 
Here's the deal. This is not like a playground where you get stuck watching other people's kids while they chat about how much they hate their job. You hand your child off to smiling young ladies who are excited to show them all the cool things inside. Of course, mine only wanted to push 2 baby strollers around (at the same time) for the entirety of our stay, but there were new-looking toys of all kinds in there. I saw everything from wooden magnetic puzzles to dress-up areas and a bouncy house (edited 5/15: the bouncy house is gone, but there is a fabulous wooden play structure now). Everything looks so neat and new!
She's trying to one-up me by pushing 2 at a time, I know it. She is, in fact, wearing bottoms.
I started out sitting at the bar (not that kind) that had a window right into the playroom. I was curious to see what she would enjoy, and after 20 minutes with her stroller gig, I was ready to focus on Mama Time!

Summer salad with walnuts, mandarin oranges, dried cherries and feta. And the world's best vinaigrette

Yes, magazines galore. Not the doctor's office variety of Readers Digest and Cat Fancy. Current issues of things I care about. You know, Jessica Simpson and her new baby.  And delicious food!  I am still thinking about that Summer Salad (4.95)! Their extensive menu has seasonal salads and sandwiches, as well as sweets and a full coffee bar. I haven't been sleeping well lately due to a neighborly-cops-involved-dog issue, so I skipped the coffee drinks. But hello, Buckeye Mocha?  I will be drinking you next time. I opted for the Peach Arnold Palmer and it was just what I needed.

Because of naptime creeping closer, we did not stay the entire 2 hours. Had I brought a friend to chat with (who's coming with me?) or a better book (I wish I could send 50 Shades of Grey back through the Kindle), we would have stayed the whole time.

I can finally see my friends and I catching up over lunch rather than chasing kids and taking away butter knives. In my eyes, money well-spent. Well done, Lattes and Lollipops.
See, she has bloomers on. And this is her papparazzi avoidance pose.

Updates: We have been back many, many times and even had Larkyn's second birthday party at L and L. We love the staff and have never been disappointed in our experience. Now that I have 2 kids, we don't go as often, but if I really want to work on something or have a conversation without interruption, this is my first choice.

Comments

Keith and Julie said…
Can't wait to hit this place up with you!!!!
Desiree said…
I wish we had something like this in Dallas! I totally need a contained place that's indoors where she can wear herself out!