Foodie Friday: Simplified spaghetti pie

One of the blogs I follow is Mennonite Girls Can Cook. I am neither Mennonite or a cook, but their recipes always look delicious. This recipe popped up and I knew I had to make it for dinner, but simplify it in about 10 ways. It was incredible!


Picture courtesy of MGCC. Here is the original recipe.


Simplified Spaghetti Pie
based on MGCC recipe

6 ounces spaghetti (this is less than half a box)
2 TB butter
1/3 C grated Parmesan cheese
2 well beaten eggs
1/2 pound ground beef (I used 93% lean)
1/2 jar of chunky garden style pasta sauce (I used Ragu)
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp minced garlic (optional but I LOVE garlic)
1 C cottage cheese
2/3 C shredded mozzarella cheese
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Brown the ground beef. Add the minced garlic as it cooks. Add the pasta sauce.
  • Cook the spaghetti and drain it. Stir butter into hot spaghetti. Stir in Parmesan and beaten eggs (make sure the pan is not too hot or it will scramble your eggs!) Add garlic salt and Italian seasonings.
  • Butter a pie pan on the sides and bottom and dump in the spaghetti mixture. Use a spoon to make a "crust" with the noodles, going up the sides and pressing down the middle. 
  • Spread cottage cheese over the spaghetti, then the meatsauce, and then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
  • Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. 
Note: I am not crazy about crunchy noodles, so I don't leave as much of a crust as the pictures above. 

Comments