Birthday Thursday: Happy 46 weeks!

This was a week of more "fun" firsts than last week. We are all healthy now, thank goodness. I am not sure if I have discussed our journey toward the sippy cup (geez, I never imagined myself writing those words). It started 6 months ago when I saw the "4+" label on a Playtex sippy cup and thought I'd get ahead of the game and start transitioning her right away. HA. ha. For monnnnnnths, we have been filling it with all natural white grape juice, suggesting it to Larkyn, and pretending to drink it while saying "Mmmmm". It was met with violent hand swipes at the cup and flying juice. When she started refusing the bottle last week, I knew we had to try harder.

My friend at work (also a mom, also a special ed teacher), came to my rescue. This is good advice for any of you who might be in the same boat one day. She suggested skipping the sippy cup altogether and going with a straw cup for better oral development and control. And it worked for her daughter, so it was worth a try!  I used an adult drinking straw, full of delicious Dole orange peach mango juice. I stuck it back by her molars and let it go. After a few guzzles of the juice, she was hooked. She started using the adult straw, and then I put the straw cup (with the same juice, diluted with half water) in front of her. Survey says...
Hooray! She carries it around with her and uses it like a champ. Thanks, Amber!


In other fun news, she started saying "Uh oh!" when we drop things. She really played this cute card while grocery shopping last night. Here she is in her cute outfit from Aunt Jeanette!

Comments

Desiree said…
I'm totally patting myself on the back for giving Sofia a straw sippy cup! :-) She never really got the hang of the other cups that you have to tip back to get something to drink so we didn't have much choice but to go for the straw cups. It's good to know that they're beneficial! :-)