Foodie Friday: Peach blueberry crisp

I love peaches, but find that I am very bad at determining their ripeness. Therefore, I often end up eating mushy peaches or apple-like peaches. Solution? Bake them!  And add 2 superfoods (blueberries and oats) to make it a "healthier" dessert. Note: I am not a blueberry fan and threw these in at the last second to use them up. I am now a fan.

Oven Temp: 375 degrees
Time: 30 min
Yield: 4 big servings

Ingredients: 
3-4 peaches, sliced
Handful of blueberries (1/2 cup or so...adjust to your liking)
2 TB white sugar
1/2 cup quick oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour plus one TB
1/4 cup butter, chilled
1/4 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg or allspice (I use Pampered Chef Cinnamon Plus, which combines all 3)
Vanilla ice cream (optional)

  1. Preheat the oven while you prepare fruit in a 2 qt. casserole. Mix fruit with 2 TB of sugar and 1 TB of flour (only if you add the blueberries. No flour needed for other fruits). Set aside. 
  2. Mix the flour, oats, and brown sugar together. 
  3. Chop butter into smaller cubes and cut it in (I like to use a dough blender but you can use a fork). Do NOT overmix or it will turn into a crust rather than a crumbly topping.
  4. Sprinkle crumb topping on the top and bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. 
  5. Serve with vanilla ice cream!
(recipe based off Better Homes and Gardens Apple Crisp recipe)

Comments

Desiree said…
I ADORE peaches! Like they're my favorite thing ever ever!! This actually sounds pretty easy with no exotic or unrecognizable ingredients - if I don't know what it calls for, I don't make it! :-)

Hmmm, I think we may even have all this stuff in the house!